The Divagator has been consumed with other projects this week, so in lieu of an essay, I thought I'd offer up two poems written by unfairly forgotten poets Kingsley Amis and Charles Causley. Enjoy!
A NOTE ON WYATT
Kingsley Amis
See her come bearing down, a tidy craft!
Gaily her topsails bulge, her sidelights burn!
There’s jigging in her rigging fore and aft,
And beauty’s self, not name, limned on her stern.
See at her head the Jolly Roger flutters!
”God, is she fully manned? If she's one short...”
Cadet, bargee, longshoreman, shellback mutters;
Drowned is reason that should me comfort.
But habit, like a cork, rides the dark flood,
And, like a cork, keeps her in walls of glass;
Faint legacies of brine tingle my blood,
The tide-wind’s fading echoes, as I pass.
Now, jolly ship, sign on a jolly crew:
God bless you, dear, and all who sail in you.
I AM THE GREAT SUN
Charles Causley
From a Normandy crucifix of 1632
I am the great sun, but you do not see me,
I am your husband, but you turn away.
I am the captive, but you do not free me,
I am the captain but you will not obey.
I am the truth, but you will not believe me,
I am the city where you will not stay.
I am your wife, your child, but you will leave me,
I am that God to whom you will not pray.
I am your counsel, but you will not hear me,
I am your lover whom you will betray.
I am the victor, but you do not cheer me,
I am the holy dove whom you will slay.
I am your life, but if you will not name me,
Seal up your soul with tears, and never blame me.
Some in Silicon Valley Are Questioning the Calls for an A.I. Slowdown
-
The debate over the safety of artificial intelligence grew personal as key
tech leaders said calls for government regulation were self-serving and
misplaced.
3 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment