Monday, July 17, 2006

Compass points

The Political Compass Questionaire has been around a while. I recently retook it and scored about where I thought I would: 1.50 on the economic right/left scale (positive numbers put you on the right); 0.26 on the social libertarian/authoritarian axis (positive numbers put you in the authoritarian sector). All things considered, my score is pretty much in the center of the grid, located in the authoritarian right sector by a slim margin. If you haven't taken the quiz, have at it...it's not perfect, of course, but a fun diversion.

One unintentionally funny bit of text on the site says the following:

"In our home page we demolished the myth that authoritarianism is necessarily 'right wing', with the examples of Robert Mugabe, Pol Pot and Stalin. Similarly Hitler, on an economic scale, was not an extreme right-winger. His economic policies were broadly Keynesian, and to the left of some of today's Labour parties. If you could get Hitler and Stalin to sit down together and avoid economics, the two diehard authoritarians would find plenty of common ground."

As it turned out, Stalin and Hitler did sit down together to find common ground...they called it Poland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As it turned out, Stalin and Hitler did sit down together to find common ground...they called it Poland.

Ha. I like your wit.