Thursday, July 10, 2008

Waterfalls underwhelming


I suppose one should be wary of art projects described as “monumental” in their promotional materials, especially here in New York, where the city itself is of such size and scale to dwarf the ambitions of most public art projects (ask Christo). The New York City Waterfalls, an exhibition of four large-scale, man-made waterfalls on the NYC waterfront, left me a little unimpressed.

The exhibition began June 26 and will be on display until October, with viewing areas in Brooklyn, lower Manhattan, and Governors Island. My vantage point for the Governors Island waterfall was the deck of a Staten Island ferry (which is where I snapped this pic), and to be fair, I was probably too far away for the exhibition to make much of an impression. I have heard the vantage point offered near River Café in Brooklyn leaves a more favorable impression.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, good time at the ballgame and Irish pub yesterday. Thought you'd get a kick out of this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/recession_plagued_nation_demands

The Divagator said...

oh god, the onion slays me.