For those who may have browsed the archives of this site and read some of the roughly 60 essays posted since January, it has probably occurred to you that this blog is “all over the place,” as one friend has asserted. Most blogs—at least, those that aspire to be more than an exercise in navel gazing—tend to focus on the blogger’s primary interest, avocation, or vocation; hence, lawyers write law blogs; political scientists write policy blogs; so forth and so on. In many cases, the strength of the blogosphere is the product of specialists and talented amateurs divulging their special knowledge. Many bloggers know their chosen material better than any journalist can possibly hope to and can offer a valuable counterpoint to the professional journalists, most of whom learned their trade in America’s dull, and dulling, j-schools. In the blogosphere, even partisans have a certain role to play, acting as a check to the mainstream media’s hubris and/or laziness, and while they frequently go off the right or left rail, I believe in sum the internet is a better place for them, at least, when they’re taken in small doses.
THE DIVAGATOR is different in that I seek to touch on a wide range of topics, from Kremlinology to popular music to central banking to baseball and beyond. Honesty compels me to say that I am not a “renaissance man.” I cannot read Russian, play the guitar, set the discount rate, or hit a 95mph fastball; rather, I am the modern, nickel-plated version of what we used to call a “renaissance man”—I am the dreaded “generalist,” as one kind anonymous reader commented last week.
Some might say that generalist is merely a euphemism for know-it-all, and I cannot deny certain similarities, but I think the difference between the two is one of attitude more than approach. To be a generalist requires a certain degree of humility, of knowing what you don’t know—and freely admitting it to others. Besides, think how boring life would be if we abandoned it to specialists, or as the poet W. D. Snodgrass once wrote in the oft-anthologized “April Inventory”:
While scholars speak authority
And wear their ulcers on their sleeves,
My eyes in spectacles shall see
These trees procure and spend their leaves.
There is a value underneath
The gold and silver in my teeth.
Though trees turn bare and girls turn wives,
We shall afford our costly seasons;
There is a gentleness survives
That will outspeak and has its reasons.
There is a loveliness exists,
Preserves us, not for specialists.
If I must profess a specialty to conjure some goodwill or respect, then I suppose it would be literary history and the ancient art of poetry, though I am a slack practitioner and an unenthusiastic prosodist. Living in a land insensate to the pleasures of poetry, the more gregarious part of my nature wants for attention beyond this taxidermy of language I have chosen for myself; therefore, I keep this little diary which modernity calls a web log.
Sometimes friends ask me if I consider it a little odd that I cast forth these assorted musings—one day cross-border mergers and acquisitions, the next, punk rock—to a nominal audience that, like poetry, all too often consists of one reader, myself. Perhaps it is a little odd. Many fellow bloggers, or so I’ve noticed, inhabit the blogosphere with more functional purposes—to create an online community of folks around a particular interest, like cooking, equity investments, grass-roots politics, so forth and so on. There they hope to converse with like-minded souls, exchange ideas, and occasionally challenge themselves with an opposing point of view. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with that, but what I hope to create with this site is something different. Rather than serve as an online water cooler or a gallery of links to other sites and other people, I would rather provide genuine content, sometimes occasioned by a specific event, sometimes not. I’ll leave it to such readers who may happen upon this site to judge the value of this strategy. I would say that I always attempt to be fair and honest, but never objective.
In publishing this “diary,” as I’ve called it, there is, obviously, an inherent immediacy and self-consciousness absent in true diaries. Take that most famous of English-language diaries, that of Samuel Pepys, the 17th century English bureaucrat, whose accounts of London during the Restoration are considered ground zero for students of the period. Pepys probably had an inkling that his thoughts might be published one day (after all, he went to some effort to preserve the diary), but there was still a considerable distance between himself and that prospective, future audience. Such distance often allows for the degree of candor and self-revelation for which diaries are known. Naturally, blogs are different; they’re immediate, both in time and in their “publicness”; they’re also interactive—there’s always the possibility that one must account for one’s words to others who press the issue. All of this wars against extreme candor, and despite the many who use blogs as a sort of RSS feed directly linked to their Freudian ids, more self-aware folks are rather more circumspect regarding how and when they reveal themselves online.
So perhaps this is no diary at all. I’ve seen “real” online diaries (indeed, there’s a whole site dedicated to them), composed by folks who are either too ignorant or too self-deceived to be believed. They maintain the pretense of privacy when airing their thoughts in a public confessional, and many of them upon reading have a slightly sleazy, voyeuristic element about them. You will excuse me if I prefer to keep my dysfunctions to myself.
It would seem that what saves diaries from being mere echo chambers is their function as a record, a trail, a ball of thread with which one can find one’s way in and out of the labyrinths we make for ourselves. If THE DIVAGATOR suffices as a diary, it will have to be on such grounds.
When I began this web log, I must admit that I did not have in mind the diary analogy. I was thinking of something more along the lines of The Spectator, that uniquely Augustan creation of Joseph Addison and Richard Steele, often considered the forerunner of today’s opinion journals and periodicals. I even picked up the notion of the silly persona, although I have spared all of you—thus far, anyway—from the gallery of invented personalities, such as Will Honeycomb and Captain Sentry, introduced by Addison and Steele.
In fact, I believe the diary analogy first struck me when I read a recent essay by Alan Jacobs, titled “Goodbye, Blog,” where he explored in more depth and with more learning the Pepys connection I made above. Upon further review Jacobs, a professor of English at the evangelical Christian Wheaton College in Illinois, seems to have soured on the blogosphere, ominously concluding his essay as follows:
“As I think about these architectural deficiencies, and the deficiencies of my own character, I find myself meditating on a passage from a book by C. S. Lewis. In his great work of literary history, Poetry and Prose in the Sixteenth Century, Lewis devotes a passage to what he describes, with a certain savageness, as ‘that whole tragic farce which we call the history of the Reformation.’ For Lewis, the issues that divided Catholics and Protestants, that led to bloodshed all over Europe and to a seemingly permanent division of Christians from one another, ‘could have been fruitfully debated only between mature and saintly disputants in close privacy and at boundless leisure.’ Instead, thanks to the prevalence of that recent invention the printing press, and to the intolerance of many of the combatants, deep and subtle questions found their way into the popular press and were immediately transformed into caricatures and cheap slogans. After that there was no hope of peaceful reconciliation.
On a smaller scale, the same problems afflict the intellectual and moral environments of the blogs. There is no privacy: all conversations are utterly public. The arrogant, the ignorant, and the bullheaded constantly threaten to drown out the saintly, and for that matter the merely knowledgeable, or at least overwhelm them with sheer numbers. And the architecture of the blog (and its associated technologies like RSS), with its constant emphasis on novelty, militates against leisurely conversations. It is no insult to the recent, but already cherished, institution of the blogosphere to say that blogs cannot do everything well. Right now, and for the foreseeable future, the blogosphere is the friend of information but the enemy of thought.”
One must believe such a Luddite conclusion to be consciously over-the-top, and if more or less true, such a conclusion tells us more about ourselves than the technologies that enable cultural self-degradation and/or self-destruction. I remain hopeful that blogs represent a unique opportunity to make our cultural conversation far more polyphonous than the mass market provides for, although, as with making friends in the real world, one should employ some degree of discrimination in determining whom one gets on with. Nonetheless, there is something charming and very 18th century about a nation of men and women garretted in their rooms, or flopped down in their wired coffeehouses, discoursing about the most effective means of cultivating tiger lilies or about why Joseph Lieberman should be sent packing.
Of course, the mass-market media still gets cranky with the amateurs who seek to muscle in on their turf, but aside from hectoring the rest of us about the virtues of the journalistic craft, most folks in the media haven’t really done much to address why their audience is slowly leaving it for alternative sources of news, information, and perspective. In yesterday’s New York Times, there was an interesting article regarding the recent turnover at the anchor desks of the three major networks’ evening news programs. As the NYT had it, there has been some serious, serious thought from CBS concerning its broadcast. For example,
“In many respects, Ms. Couric’s retooling of the 'CBS Evening News' will appear comfortably familiar.
She will sit at a desk finished in ginger root maple laminate—lighter than the mahogany model used by Dan Rather and later Bob Schieffer, but still a desk—atop bright red and blue carpeting, with a 15-foot projection television to her left. Nearby are areas for her to stand and to accommodate chairs for live interviews.”
It is in this world of media self-regard and pomp that the blogosphere has triumphed, and while Jacobs may well be right that, ultimately, the blogosphere is “an enemy of thought,” I can’t imagine that Katie Couric’s desk will host the revival of thought he seeks. So as my anonymous commenter suggested, “Does the blogosphere really need a true generalist? I suppose there’s only one way to find out.”
4 comments:
Thanks for the kind link!
Amusingly, someone has started posting Pepys in blog form.
There are many candidates for the great diary of the 20th century, but surely Victor Klemperer must be near the top.
Klemperer was not just a Jew stuck in Nazi Germany. He was also a brilliant literary historian with a razor-sharp wit, and his diaries are considerably more than a simple tale of woe.
They come in three volumes, two covering '33 through '45, and the third from '45 to '59. I suppose many people probably just read the first two. But the real prize is the third.
Because Klemperer wound up in the East. He was not a communist before the war, but a classic German liberal. But after all his incisive analysis of the Nazi corruption of thought, rivalling Orwell in his understanding of the totalitarian phenomenon - he fell for the East German party line. He even served as a delegate in the East German Parliament.
His last Tagebuch (published long after his death) recounts all of it. It's the story of a great private struggle with the truth. He is constantly approaching reality and then dancing away from it. He simply cannot quite bring himself to believe that all the honors the KPD has showered on him - that he, indeed, has ruthlessly fought for - are meaningless and degrading.
In the software industry we have a term that I'm not sure the rest of the world has completely picked up on: "reality distortion field." Steve Jobs is known for his ability to project this mystic force. But just about every software company - certainly all the ones I've worked for - has some kind of distortion field going. I suppose "groupthink" is a more conventional term. But whatever you call it, it's what kept Klemperer in the DDR, and I have suffered from it more than once.
I notice that you haven't cleared my last comment on the Murphy post. Perhaps this is just some glitch. But maybe you're worried that it goes over the right or left rail - or both. Or you're not quite sure.
I mention Klemperer because I think his experience is an important caution to your generally laudable philosophy of centrism and moderation. Klemperer certainly considered himself a centrist, in terms of the DDR's political space - even dangerously rightist. To the last days of the DDR there were moderates who thought they could reform the system. All these sensible and intelligent people were quite surprised when the whole thing just evaporated.
The thing we have to keep in mind about the DDR, and about Communism in general, is that it worked - sort of. Writers wrote novels, poets wrote poetry, and software engineers even wrote software. There was even progress. The Trabant 60 was a better car than the Trabant 50. And especially after Stalin died, life was by no means as Orwellian and scary as the cold warriors made us think.
Communism evaporated for one reason: it couldn't stop its citizens from comparing it to the West. The line that the West was a zoo of poverty, crime and neofascism was fundamentally unmaintainable. There is a wonderful scene in Kieślowski's Blind Chance, made in 1981 in Poland (and better than any of his Western films I've seen), in which a communist bureaucrat shows off a calculator he's bought in Paris. It was simply too obvious.
Surely our own reality distortion fields, if we have them, are considerably subtler and more elegant than the crude ideology of Communism. But I think we do have them. And - here's the rub - what we don't have is a West of our own to be a yardstick.
What, for example, if the Vienna of Schnitzler, Freud and Klimt had survived, with its political, legal, and cultural system intact? Or the England of Acton and Palmerston? Or even the Russia of Witte?
What would their laptops and iPods look like? Would they be clunkier than ours - or slicker? Would their newspapers seem dull and censored by comparison to ours - or would it be the other way around? What about their films, their poems, their novels?
We will never know. And this is, I think, the task of the generalist: to build the sheer breadth and awareness it takes to actually step outside history.
Because specialists are easy meat for anyone who can cast a reality distortion field. In everything outside his specialty, the specialist takes the conventional wisdom for granted. He has to. That's what makes him a specialist.
It's true that escaping the tribal politics of the partisan is the first step on this path. But centrism is not an escape from partisanship - quite the contrary.
Centrism escapes only the partisans of the present. It is an unconditional surrender to those of the past. It is an implicit acceptance of all the little tricks long-dead partisans once played to shift the center, to write their reality distortion fields into the consensus mind. If nothing else, a look at the number of movements - in American history, not in the DDR, not in the Third Reich - which have tried to pull this off and failed, is Bayesian evidence that some have probably tried and succeeded.
Conventional wisdoms, of course, are almost always right. Conspiracy theories tend to be implausible by definition. But I find the notion that we have it all right, that history has ended, that historians a century hence - hopefully there will be such a thing - will not have to suppress their snickers, coughs and curses as they look back at us, about as likely as the idea that the Mossad was behind 9/11.
What I find interesting about your perspective is that you're obviously a man or woman of rare talent and learning, especially by the standards of the age; there does not seem to be a trace of partisanship or factionalism in your writing; and yet you seem quite attached - at least next to my own jaundiced attitudes - to the moderate viewpoint.
This is why I'm spamming your comments section with these long, unhinged rants. It's because your responses are interesting - at least, they interest me. You may be a sample size of one (at least till any of your other readers, a population I expect will soon increase, decides to join in), but I don't feel I am preaching to the choir, and if I can't make these perspectives clear to you, something needs tuning.
I thank you again for your very kind words. So far as I'm able, I discern that you more suspect of things-as-they-are than I am, but don't mistake my (seeming) equipoise with moderation...necessarily.
A while back, in an essay titled "What Centrism Is and Isn't" (I'd link if I knew how in these damned comments) I tried to contrast 'centrism' with 'moderation.' The former I rather like, the latter not so much.
Your 'reality distortion field' is good, rather like a portable version of Plato's cave.
I was not aware of Klemperer's diary, but the name seemed familiar...then I saw who his cousin was and realized my mistake (I think my parents had some of Otto's Beethoven on vinyl when I was a kid).
You would task the generalist with building parallel past and future worlds, for who but the generalist, presumably, could build such tiny worlds with enough detail to satisfy the average intellect? The physicist might not like the alternative physics, but appreciates the details with which the alternative houses and statuary are evoked.
To get at some of the things you wish to address, for me anyway, requires much more effort than I have expended on the blog...those are books, not 1500-word essays, but by and by, I hope to chip away at some of the them. And your comments have been very welcome, not 'spamming' at all.
As for the Communist regimes, I don't know, my sense is that they were pretty awful. And more awful the older they got. A peasant success story like General Zhukov would have been unlikely in the 1970s as the USSR grew more sclerotic.
I've long enjoyed Czesław Miłosz's The Captive Mind. Ever read it?
Apologies for the slow reply! Not the best of blog manners, I'm afraid, to post a provocative jeremiad right before I go on vacation. You would think I'd been around the net long enough.
The Captive Mind is, indeed, one of my favorites. Although like most books from a different time or place it's more interesting, I think, for what it says about us now than Poland in the 1950s.
I think the main lacuna that remains in the Western view of communism is a failure to appreciate how thoroughly the vast majority of the people in the system, both leaders and ordinary citizens, believed in it. Growing up with American anticommunism, it was easy for me to fall into the belief that the whole thing was a conspiracy run by a disingenuous elite and maintained by constant, vicious repression. Not so. Of course everyone saw the problems, but they thought, in general, in terms of solving them.
A couple of other books that have reinforced the point for me are William Taubman's fine biography of Khrushchev, and still more Cathy Young's memoir of life as a teenage girl in Moscow's Jewish intelligentsia in the '70s.
I also should add Roland Huntford's The New Totalitarians, which is not about Russia at all, but Sweden. Huntford was the Observer's correspondent in Stockholm in the early '70s, when the Social Democrats were at their political apex, and his observation of the result as a Huxleyite, rather than Orwellian, dystopia, is acute. Many of the novelties he observed in Swedish society now go relatively unremarked in Europe and even the US.
Because - in retrospect, was Communism really the best example of the pill of Murti-Bing? It was cut with too much speed, as it were. The whole police state thing was a major downer. And it was all too easy to look over at the West and see that whatever we were on, it was a lot more fun.
No - I'm afraid we grew up with no small dose of the good stuff in our own water supply. Perhaps this essay from John Derbyshire can serve as a small example.
I did read your essay on centrism, which was typically perspicacious. Obviously I share your objections to reflexive moderation. But if your fondness for the process of representative democracy is considered rather than received, you are one of quite a few.
It is indeed an astoundingly difficult task to think outside the consensus truth of our time and culture, especially since by far the majority of that truth is, quite simply, true. History presents us with a vast garbage pile of discarded thoughts from the past, all written through the colored glasses of some other time and culture. Assembling a new reality from these ingredients is - as you say - the task of a lifetime, not of a blog post. And perhaps the results will be negative, indistinguishable from the control. But surely there's no better sport than trying.
Thanks for getting back...I'm about to fly out myself for the weekend and will respond when I return. Cheers
Post a Comment